Family Law Practice for Salt Lake City, UT
Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, Kimberly J. Trupiano is a trusted and reliable attorney who specializes in family law services. Whether your case includes divorce, child custody or child support, Trupiano Law approaches each case thoroughly and uniquely to get the best possible outcome. Over the years, we have successfully handled countless divorce related cases involving child custody. In the aftermath of your divorce, our family law firm can help enforce parent time schedules, implement child support and collections.
Family law services may also involve property division, spousal support and mediation among others. From family law child custody cases to divorces involving international issues, you can count on Trupiano Law for our expertise. We have achieved the best results through our family law services due to our unconventional and aggressive approach to cases. You can rely on our family law lawyer to take charge of your own family law case in Salt Lake City, including the following services:
Divorce vs. Annulment
An annulment is a family law process that basically erases a marriage. Legally, an annulment states that a marriage never existed and is considered null. A divorce is the conclusion of a legal marriage that reverts both parties to single status. Based on the state, divorces can be more complicated than annulments, particularly when dealing with child custody in conjunction. Causes for annulment in every state include:
- Forced consent
- Marriage prohibited by law
- Mental or physical inability
- Inability to consummate marriage
- Underage marriage
Our family law firm can help you distinguish between no-fault and fault divorces. A no-fault divorce allows the termination of a legal marriage in which neither party admits blame for the separation. A fault divorce is granted when one spouse can attest acceptable justification. Legal justification for a fault divorce in every state, including Salt Lake City, UT, consists of:
- Physical/emotional mistreatment
- Substance abuse or other addictive problems
Dividing Assets and Liabilities
Marital property comprises all the assets and financial responsibilities that were sustained during the marriage. It generally will not matter whether the asset or financial responsibility is under the name of one spouse or both. An experienced family law lawyer can negotiate these properties and debts, so they’ll be equitably split. Marital property includes:
- Bank accounts
- Retirement accounts
- Real property
- Business interests
- Airline miles
- Credit card debt
A prenuptial agreement (prenup) is a standard, family law service taken before getting married. It institutes the property and financial rights of both spouses in case of a divorce. Our family law lawyer can draft a prenup for you, which can be used for the following purposes:
- Safeguard assets and businesses
- Avoid assuming the other party’s debt
- Bring forth financial responsibilities
- Determine how property will be passed upon death
- Evade long, costly divorce disputes
Alimony is a monthly spousal support payment, from one spouse to another in correspondence with a deal or court decision. It’s awarded to correct any unfair economic effects instigated by a divorce, for example if one spouse is unemployed or earns a lower wage. Alimony is based on the following criteria:
- Emotional state
- Financial circumstances of each spouse
- Standard of living during marriage
- Amount of time the receiver would require to become self-sufficient
- Length of the marriage
- Ability of the supporting spouse to manage finances while paying alimony
Family law child custody will always be settled on the best interests of the child and sometimes these conclusions are quite difficult for parents to make. Our family law firm is prepared to assist you in these matters even if it must involve an impartial mediator. When it comes to the best of interest of a child, that’s decided based on the following factors:
- The child’s age, gender, mental and physical health
- Health of parents
- Lifestyle and social influences
- Love and emotional ties between parent and child
- Parents’ ability to produce food, shelter, clothing and medical care
- Quality of schools in the area
- Child’s inclination if over age 12
- Ability and willingness of parent to support a good relationship between child and other parent
- Environmental stability
As part of our family law firm’s child custody services, a custody agreement needs to be made between the parents. There are the types of child custody agreements you could opt for with the help of a family law lawyer:
- Legal custody: The privilege and responsibility to make decisions about raising the child. This includes education, religion, medical care and punishment. When given joint legal custody, parents share these rights.
- Physical custody: The right of a parent to have a child with him or her. Most courts order joint physical custody, though the time-split is often not the same as 50/50.
- Sole custody: Sole custody settlements provide one parent with complete custody privileges and permit the other only visitation rights.
- Joint custody: This custody enables parents to synchronize their schedules and share decision-making accountability.
- Bird’s nest custody: This happens when the child stays in one home and parents interchange in and out of the home and take turns providing for the child.
Child support is a court appointed amount that is usually paid monthly to the spouse who holds primary custody of the child. It’s designed for basic needs like food, housing and clothing, health insurance medical care and educational expenses. Child support is determined based on each parent’s monthly income and expenses, so a family law lawyer can help you gather the proper documentation for financial assistance. Centered on this financial evidence and the sum of time each parent devotes to the child, the court uses a formula to determine child support.
Family Law Mediation
Family law child custody cases and other family law services could involve mediation, which is used to solve disputes. With family mediation, an unbiased third-party mediator helps two parties overcome their differences as they reach a decision. Mediation can save the party’s time and expenses associated with trial but the verdicts may not be legally lasting. That’s why it’s important for a family law lawyer to review any agreement before presenting it to the court.
Our Family Law Services
The following are issues that can arise in family law proceedings and ones that our family law lawyers can assist you with:
- Abuse of State, International, and Immigration Justice Systems in Divorce
- Alimony and Maintenance
- Custody of Children
- Division of Marital Assets and Liabilities
- Prenuptial Agreements (Utah State, immigration and international law)
- Protective Orders, Restraining Orders
Our family law firm seeks to minimize disputes and save you any unnecessary legal fees. We carry out our family law services by taking an assertive yet detailed approach in our representation. This is especially so when spouses make unfair claims or abuse the legal system.
Contact Trupiano Law PC Today
The family law lawyers at Trupiano Law PC in Salt Lake City, UT, are ready to provide you with experienced family law services. For family law child custody, divorce and asset distribution, our attorneys are the ideal choice. You can reach our family law firm by filling out our online contact form now. Call us today at 801-266-0166 for a free consultation.